An email from Karen clarifying whitebalance:
In reviewing the lessons in week 7, I noticed something I need to clarify.
In both Day 2 and Day 4, under the Mental Checklists it states that the "Shade"white balance should be used outdoors and indoors under natural light.
Depending upon your camera, your in-camera processing settings and whether yourare shooting JPEGs or RAW images, the Shade setting may produce skin tones thatare too warm/orange-ish so really watch for that.
When I am shooting indoors under all natural light (from the sun), I will often usethe 'cloud' WB setting.
When I am shooting indoors under mixed light (from the sun AND an artificial lightsource like a lightbulb), I will often use the 'daylight/sun' WB setting or create acustom WB setting.
When I am shooting indoors under tungsten/lightbulb or fluorescent lighting, I willuse the 'tungsten/lightbulb' or 'fluorescent' WB setting accordingly or create acustom WB setting.
When I'm outdoors, I most often shoot with the 'cloud' WB setting. However, ifmy skin tones look too warm, I'll use the 'daylight/sun' setting (it's rare that my skintones look too warm outdoors though). If my skin tones look too blue-ish, I'll usethe 'shade' setting.
It's rare that I need to create a custom WB setting outdoors unless I am shootingnear something that creates a strong color cast (like a painted outdoor wall, acolored playground structure, etc.).
Hope that helps to clarify things!
Karen